KC restaurant updates for February: What’s coming, what’s now open & what closed
Many restaurants are coming to the Kansas City area. Here’s a roundup.
▪ Black Dirt, a new restaurant by the owners of Justus Drugstore, plans a late-summer opening at 5070 Main St.
▪ Chuy’s, a Tex-Mex chain based in Austin, Texas, has set a May 30 opening for its new location at 11965 S. Strang Line Road, Olathe.
▪ Freddy’s Frozen Custard & Steakburgers plans a spring opening at 8071 N.W. Roanridge Road. A mid-to-late spring opening is planned for a location at 10019 E. Missouri 350 in Raytown. Freddy’s also has purchased property near the Legends Outlets in Kansas City, Kan.
▪ Fuzzy’s Taco Shop, which has area locations in south Kansas City, Overland Park and Lawrence, plans to open a location in the Cherokee South Plaza at 95th and Antioch, in Overland Park, by the spring.
▪ Jaracho South, 13145 State Line Road, plans to open by early spring.
▪ Lenexa Public Market will include a Roasterie Cafe. It also is in talks with four other local restaurant operations and plans to open in July. The Roasterie also hopes to open two drive-thru locations.
▪ Marco’s Pizza, which has 5 area locations, is looking for franchisees to open up to 35 new locations in the next 3 to 5 years — specifically in Blue Springs, Shawnee, Lawrence and Ottawa.
▪ Meshuggah Bagels, 1208 W. 39th St., plans a mid-June opening in Liberty Commons, at Missouri 152 and Interstate 35 in Liberty, and an early March opening in Overland Park.
▪ MOD Pizza plans to open in Antioch Crossing, Antioch Road, Vivion Road and Chouteau Trafficway, later this year, as well as at 1112 N.E. Coronado Drive, Blue Springs. No opening dates were available.
▪ Qdoba Mexican Eats plans two new restaurants: 5255 N. Antioch Road later this winter and 18921 E. Valley View Parkway in Independence in the spring.
▪ Simple Science Juices, Corbin Park, plans a May opening at 13725 Metcalf Ave., Overland Park, next to Buffalo Wild Wings and the UPS store in Corbin Park.
▪ Southside Bar & Grille plans a March opening at 1144 W. 103rd St., in the Watts Mill Plaza, in the former home of Guadalajara Cafe.
▪ Spokes Cafe Cyclery — described as a cafe and bar with a bike shop in back — plans to open by late March in the Summit on Quality Hill, 1200 Washington St., Suite B.
▪ Swordfish Tom’s, 210 W. 19th Terrace, plans an early April opening. The pre-Prohibition style bar will serve only premium spirits.
▪ Zaxby’s plans an early April opening for a Zaxby’s at 12203 S. Strang Line Road in Olathe.
▪ The Big Biscuit, 5502 N.E. Antioch Road. Restaurants also are under construction in Lee’s Summit and Olathe.
▪ Crow’s Coffee over the former Coffee Girls space at 7440 Washington St. in Waldo.
▪ El Malecon, 15740 U.S. 40, Independence.
▪ Freezing Moo, Thai fried ice cream, 6936 W. 135th St., Overland Park.
▪ Fringe Beerworks, 224 S.E. Douglas St., Lee’s Summit, which opened in late 2016, recently started brewing its own beer.
▪ Gates Bar-B-Que, 10440 E. U.S. 40, Independence, has reopened after a fire.
▪ Kansas City Taco Co. has a location in Gambals Social Club in Westport. Now it has opened a location at 520 Walnut St. in the City Market.
▪ Pegah’s Family Restaurant, 8701 Shawnee Mission Parkway, Merriam. IHOP had long operated in the building.
▪ Pie Five Pizza Co., 18921 E. Valley View Parkway, Independence.
▪ Red Door Wood Fired Grill, 6324 Brookside Plaza. It also has a location in Leawood.
▪ Southside Mafia Pizzeria, 10328 Blue Ridge Blvd.
▪ Sweet Siam Thai Bistro, Westport, 4130 Pennsylvania Ave.
▪ Tavernonna Italian Kitchen, P.S. Speakeasy and Kilo Charlie coffee bar, Hotel Phillips, 106 W. 12th St.
▪ Zaxby’s, 4661 Bauer Farm Drive in Lawrence
Recent restaurant closings
▪ Carma, Park Place, 11526 Ash St. Leawood, closed at the end of 2016.
▪ Winstead’s, 8817 Shawnee Mission Parkway, Merriam